Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bradyn's proton treatments went really well this week. Yesterday he wasn't scheduled until 12:30 pm and a CT scan which meant he couldn't have anything to eat after 4:30 am and nothing to drink after 8:30 am. Hard to explain to a 4 year old he can't eat until after all this is done with. He hung tough though and even though the PTC was behind and he didn't start until 1 pm he made it though! Dad said when Brady woke up the first thing he asked for was food! He was more exhausted yesterday than the previous two days and it took him longer to get over the anesthesia longer this time. It seemed like he really didn't get completely over it until this morning. He was a bit wobbly and slurred right up to going to bed. We thought he would stay up a little longer but when 7pm hit it was hard for him to keep his eyes open any longer and he drifted off to dreamland on the couch! The girls were pretty tired as well so as usual Angelina was easy to get into bed, but not her sister.

I'm just going to say this now and get it out there - for the record I don't think it's fair that Cirstyn has decided to get the 2's "I don't want to go to sleep for anything" going on! She started this a little before we left for Houston but it didn't seem so bad because we could contain her to her room and she would go to sleep on her own eventually, but here - NO WAY! She doesn't have a room, or a regular bed for that matter, and the poor dear is driving her mommy and daddy to their wits end. There's got to be a way, something we can rig up, to help this little drama queen without completely going crazy! ;)

Since Brady has the weekend off and needs to recoup a bit we decided we'd have an easy weekend, nothing big. He has been asking and asking to go outside and play in the grass - there's no grassy area right here with us - so off to this cute little park we went! They all had a good time and they so enjoyed being outside in the fresh air! There were a handful of kids playing and Brady and Cirstyn really like playing with someone else other than mom and dad. The girls enjoyed the swings for quite a while and Brady was sure to wear his hat in the sun to protect his ouchie area. It was good for all of us to be outdoors getting some fresh air and stretching our legs. We met a mom there who also happens to be an OT and her husband is an oncologist at MDA. She knew of Dr. Murray, Brady's neuro-oncologist, and was really impressed that he was Brady's doc. She had all kinds of great things to say about him. She emailed me a local mom's group so that maybe I could take the girls to some outings while Brady has his treatments and even Brady if he wasn't having anything done. She helps another cancer group set up housing and other things like that, so it was really cool that by accident we all met.

Right now everyone in the house, besides moi, is asleep so I'm having a little quiet time to myself that I can actually enjoy rather than sleeping! I hope everyone is having a good weekend and the weather is good in Fort Worth. It's a really nice day today, probably around 70 and feels so good to have the windows open. We miss you all! All of our prayers are being heard so thank you for praying for our family! <3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FROM OUR CARINGBRIDGE PAGE:

THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2011 10:33 PM, CDT
Hi Brady! I'm so glad you got to go to a big huge football stadium and meet some real football players. I bet that was so awesome! Uncle Keith, Vince and I talk about you often and we miss you. We want to come visit you when I get out of school one weekend soon. We love you and you keep being such a brave boy. Give your sisters hugs for me and tell them we love them too. :)

Love,

Aunt Jen

jen duncan

-----------------------------------

WEDNESDAY, MAY 25, 2011 5:11 PM, CDT
You know Bradyn, I'm a grown up and I hate it when the doctor's look into my eyes. So I know how you felt. You just keep up the great attitude, and Congratulations on going to the Rice football stadium, I'm impressed, and a little jealous, I would have liked to get my pictures taken with the coaches, and players too.

You don't really know me but, I am friends with your grandma and grandpa, Larry and Karen, I lived next door to your great grandma Pat.

I tell the high school kids in my class about all of your adventures, and they are praying and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Bless you all,

Maggie

Maggie Stark

-----------------------------------

MONDAY, MAY 23, 2011 9:04 PM, CDT
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Brady and your family. You are the bravest boy I know. I bet your even braver than Spiderman.
God Bless you and your family get well soon.

Kristy Akers
Hawgs for Hope

Kristy Akers

-----------------------------------

MONDAY, MAY 23, 2011 8:42 PM, CDT
Wow! What a treat for Brady (and Dad too). There are truly wonderful people in this old world. I am so happy to hear that Brady is doing well and that the family is surviving. I know sometimes it has to be challenging. You all continue to be in our prayers. Please let me know if we can do anything for you.

Love and blessings,

Brenda Delcomyn

-----------------------------------

SUNDAY, MAY 22, 2011 10:47 PM, CDT
I don't know when I've smiled, so much, at reading something on this computer!

Brady, your Daddy is a pretty awesome fella~~showing you that ball field got you all kinds of surprises, didn't it? What a great time you had, eh?! And you got a football, too? WOW! What a treasure that is. I'm so glad you had such a good time.

Well, you take care, now, and God bless you.

Gayle S.

romie sanders

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2011 5:32 AM, CDT
Brady you are so brave we are so very proud of you !! I am glad you meet a little friend ! that is great and that she is, the same, age as you are, and that you see her at your treatments . We will also put her on the prayer list at our church o.k., kisses & hugs xxooxxoox, !! We love you a lot and miss your sweet little smile hope to see you soon . We miss you all <3 Nana & Papa

Karen Safford

Anonymous said...

FROM OUR CARINGBRIDGE PAGE:

THURSDAY, MAY 19, 2011 4:35 AM, CDT
Great news ! I hope he keeps on having those great days. He sounds like a tough little dude ! Still praying for all of y'all. Elaine

Elaine Young

-----------------------------------

TUESDAY, MAY 17, 2011 2:16 PM, CDT
Hang in there brave Brady man!

Lynn Allen

-----------------------------------

SUNDAY, MAY 15, 2011 3:39 AM, CDT
Sorry we could not be there for the Birthday,But papa had to take care of the house an mow that pretty yard.But some body has to do it so it will be pretty for you all when yall get back. We love an miss you all an will see yall soon .

God Bless You Brady an we love you sooo much Its hard to stay away. But we know you an daddy an mommy needs your rest an Family Time alone.
Love Papa an Nana

Karen Safford
thesaffords76179@yahoo.com

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2011 5:12 PM, CDT
Blessings to you.

John and Patsy Lemons

John Lemons
johnalemons@sbcglobal.net

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2011 5:09 PM, CDT
Brady, Angelina and Cirstyn,

Thanks for letting Grams some and spend a couple of days with you. Brady you are so brave and I am very proud of you. Papa sends his love and says he wished he could have been there to see you and the girls. I told him how hard is was for you to have the port bandaged over, but you got through it anyway....you are so big.

Thanks for letting me share Cirstyn's 2nd birthday with all of you. One of these days we will tell her the story of how her mom's 2nd birthday was just like hers. Something to remember and pass down. Be good to your sisters, they love you so much, and look at you as their hero.

Hugs and Kisses.....down by the old mill streammmmmmm!

Grams

Sherry Decker

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2011 3:20 PM, CDT
So good that the radiation is not bothering him except that he is tired. The park sounds like a nice place to get away to. So glad Angelina and Cirstyn enjoyed the outing. Hope you and Larryberry are getting a little rest. All is well here but sure miss you all. Love you all, nanny
June Blankenship

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2011 3:13 PM, CDT
So happy to hear you're doing great Brady. We miss you like crazy, and can't wait to see you soon. It'll all be over before you know it! Chris is at his LAST drills this weekend but wanted to make sure that I tell you that he loves you Brady and hopes you have a great weekend!

The weather here is actually about the same!

brandie blankenship

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2011 2:17 AM, CDT
We are so happy that you are doing so well on your treatments and being such a big boy you are a very strong little boy that we all love so very much. We miss getting to see you but you get well and hurry home so we can play trains and cars o.k. Larry & Andrea give them, all hugs & kisses from, us and keep us up dated we love you all (: Love NaNa, & PaPa, XXOO

Karen Safford