Admittedly I swiped this from Jaxon's caringbridge page and his mom had a great idea to raise money for cancer awareness. We had the privilege of meeting Jaxon and his mom Lenzie while in Houston and they are such sweet souls! I will update as to organizations that can benefit from any donations. Thanks Lenzie!!
----------------------
Coke for Cancer
As I paid for my drink at a drive thru window today, I started thinking about how much money we spend on "Coke" which is what Texans call all soft drinks :-) I'd be willing to guess that the average household spends at least $20 a month on soft drinks. So here's my challenge: Trade your coke for cancer funds!
How to participate:
Tomorrow go get a bottle of your favorite soft drink and enjoy it since it'll be your last for the month. That's right for all of September I'm asking you to give up soft drinks or at least give them up at restaurants. If you think this sounds drastic, think of the kids fighting cancer that have to give up parks, pools, and playdates to instead go to radiation, chemo, and other treatments. Keep your empty bottle and everytime this month you make the choice not to get a soft drink put that money you saved into your bottle. You may think what difference could this small amount make. I am a big believer in people spreading awareness by talking about things, so everytime you refuse a soft drink it'll not only be a reminder to you about childhood cancer but also a reminder for others. Maybe you could put the bottle on your desk at work and see if any coworkers want to participate. All the small amounts add up and if 25 people take this challenge with an estimated $20 raised by each at the end of the month, that would be $500. I know there are around 200 people that regularly follow this website. If you all took this challenge that little effort by each of you could turn into $4000 towards helping childhood cancer (200 people x $20).
If you are wondering where to send the money you raise, there are plenty of great organizations supporting research for childhood cancer and bringing cheer to those battling this disease. I will introduce you to a few organizations this month, and at the end of the month, you pick which one you feel led to send your Coke savings money! Please do not send this money to my family! By supporting cancer research or organizations helping kids fight cancer, you will be supporting our family as well as thousands of others.
So, who will take the Coke challenge?
No comments:
Post a Comment