Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The funny thing about surprises....

So this weekend was full of firsts for our family. Bradyn spent his first night away from all of us at his Nana's and Papa's house Saturday night. He had a great time and I was so proud of him for just having fun and not getting upset. Angelina spent her first night away from all of us with my Mom and Grandmother. She had a great time as well. More importantly my mother now feels much more confident in feeding her, administer medicine, etc. That was very encouraging!

So about the surprise.....well, you know how being a mom forces you to listen to your intuition more closely than before and how it's usually right?? Not that I had been feeling differently or what not, I noticed that my boobs were somewhat bigger than the week before and were really achy. I was late for my period but that isn't outside the norm for me. I usually run 35-35 days between cycles. I hadn't had any coffee yet that day and had this overwhelming feeling that I really needed to take that pregnancy test. Just to make sure.

Well, I did - I have to say they work a lot quicker than they did the last time I used one. This one was digital so no guessing if both the lines are colored or not. All of a sudden the screen popped out "PREGNANT". I nearly fell over! I had never had a test be positive! We didn't use a home test with the twins because we did IVF so we did blood tests for confirmation.

I didn't really know how to react. I had already taken Angelina to my mom's so Brady and I loaded up in the car and went to Target to get a couple of things and a couple of pregnancy tests! When we got home I took them out of the box and set them on my bathroom vanity along with the first test. I didn’t take them right away. Larry would be home in about 30 minutes. I was trying to decide how to tell him. They I thought, why should he get the sugar coated version, why can't he find out the same way I did. He came home, said hello to everyone and off he went to our bathroom to shower and change. He came running out of our room saying "Have you seen this thing?" I told him I had his reply was "why didn't you tell me?". I said "I really didn't know how to say that!" The look on his face was priceless! Excited and scared to death! He then tells me he needed to get in the shower, he needed to process this new information.

Needless to say after the initial shock wore off for the both of us we went to dinner to celebrate and sort of talk about the future and them home to go to bed early to an uninterrupted night of sleep - with no monitors on!

No comments: